America the Beautiful
- 16 Mar 2022, 7:30 p.m., Holy Trinity Church, St Andrews, Scotland, UK, More info and bookings
- 17 Mar 2022, 7:30 p.m., Queen's Hall, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, More info and bookings
- 18 Mar 2022, 7:30 p.m., City Halls, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, More info and bookings
Repertoire Shrink, by Nico Muhly
Take a classic American road trip through a travelogue of unforgettable musical landscapes and eras, with brilliant violinist Pekka Kuusisto as your expert guide.
Copland looked far back to the wide open spaces and earliest US settlers for the rural idyll of his captivating Appalachian Spring, while Barber summoned dignity in the face of tragedy in his deeply moving Adagio, famously heard at the funerals of FDR and JFK. Stravinsky, on the other hand, took the title of his mischievous chamber concerto ‘Dumbarton Oaks’ from an opulent country estate in Washington, DC.
Kuusisto brings things bang up to date with fruits from his close musical relationships with two of the hippest, most exciting young US voices, both straddling the worlds of rock and classical. Bryce Dessner plays with indie rock band The National, while Nico Muhly has collaborated with musicians from Philip Glass to Björk, as well as writing operas and concertos: his 'Shrink' is a dazzling violin workout composed specially for Kuusisto.
Programme to include:
STRAVINSKY Concerto in E flat 'Dumbarton Oaks'
MUHLY Violin Concerto, ‘Shrink’ (UK Premiere)
MAZZOLI Dissolve, Oh my Heart
BARBER Adagio for Strings
COPLAND Appalachian Spring: Suite
Kindly supported by the SCO American Development Fund
‘Shrink’ is co-commissioned by Australian Chamber Orchestra, Melbourne Recital Centre, Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, Norwegian Chamber Orchestra, Mahler Chamber Orchestra with the kind support of the MCO Foundation and Scottish Chamber Orchestra.
Performers Pekka Kuusisto
Promoter Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Submitted by Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- 03 Jun 2022, 11:00
[Covfefe: online coffee chat for composers & musicians]
- 05 Jun 2022, 10:00
[Open Score Club - Gardenscape]
- 08 Jun 2022, 14:30
[A CELEBRATION OF MARTYN BRABBINS – EMERGING COMPOSERS]
- 08 Jun 2022, 20:00
[Sound Thought x GLEAM Concert - Darren Gallacher & Failed System Test]
- 11 Jun 2022, 19:30
[Hebrides Ensemble x Drake Music Scotland: Hidden Door 2022]
- World premiere recording of "The Present", by James MacMillan
- New music listening club
- Sound Thought x GLEAM Concert - Darren Gallacher & Failed System Test
- Figurenotes Software and Resource Hub Lunch
- Album 200m: Ambient Music in a 9v World by casiomtb released
- New Recording: 'Ursa Minor' - chamber music of Stuart MacRae